7.26.2004

two posts, can you believe it

Didn't plan on posting again but I saw this over at jordon cooper's site and felt like reposting it.
 
Chapter & Verse
from the "The West Wing" created by Aaron Sorkin

President Bartlet (Martin Sheen): I like how you call homosexuality an abombination.

Jenna Jacobs: I don't say homosexuality is an abomination, Mr. President, the Bible does.

President Bartlet: Yes, it does. Leviticus.Jenna Jacobs: 18:22.

President Bartlet: Chapter and verse. I wanted to ask you a couple of questions while I have you here. I'm interested in selling my youngest daughter into slavery as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. She's a Georgetown sophmore, speaks fluent Italian, always cleared the table when it was her turn. What would a good price for her be? While thinking about that, can I ask another? My Chief of Staff Leo McGarry insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly says he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself or is it okay to call the police? Here's one that's really important because we've got a lot of sports fans in this town: touching the skin of a dead pig makes one unclean. Leviticus 11:7. If they promise to wear gloves, can the Washington Redskins still play football? Can Notre Dame? Can West Point? Does the whole town really have to be together to stone my brother John for planting different crops side by side? Can I burn my mother in a small family gathering for wearing garments made from two different threads? "Think about that, will you?

+++++

Okay so that there is a quote from the West Wing.  I think it's clear that Christ-followers have a lot to do when it comes to clearing up misconceptions about what scripture says and means.  Although it's probably the fault of many purported Christ-followers that people don't understand the Biblical position on homosexuality.  It's about love, not judgment, and not about burning people.  Sadly though, I think too often judgment and not love is what has been communicated.  Witness the fruit of such actions. 

No comments: