7.23.2003

hands down

As previously mentioned I'm carrying on a long e-mail conversation with Kevin about Calvinism and all that good stuff. It's pretty interesting and quite the time sink. I think I'm going to try to get the formatting right and pretty so you all can read up on our exchange if you're interested. It feels so good to be exercising my mind again, geeze. It can be so easy to go through life secure in what you think and/or believe and never really examining the what or why. Not even just introspection - it just seems like a lot of the way the world works is geared towards not having to use your head. I've heard people say that e-mail and IMs have destroyed literacy and written communication. May not be too far from the truth. We need to work hard to keep our minds sharp since we don't really need to use them to survive.

I am having trouble determining whether or not I am productive on a given day. That's probably a sign that I'm not being productive. I did a fair bit today to get my office ready, I might work on it some more tomorrow and finish that up. I will soon institute office hours and force myself to do certain work at certain times.

Saw somebody yesterday while driving that I hadn't seen in over a year...and before that it had been about a year...and we hadn't really talked. I was happy we were able to smile at one another.

No comments: