You probably don't know who Ron Paul is, but he's a Republican from Texas running for President. I've been observing the race so far and it took me a while to decide who I wanted to support during the Primaries. As seems to be my fate (I liked McCain in 2000) I have found I am most impressed by an underdog. Ron Paul is, in my opinion, the man. Since I know you won't read a long essay about him (and also since I don't want to write a long essay about him) here are some of the reasons I like the cut of Ron Paul's jib:
- He speaks like a normal human - he sounds genuine and not rehearsed. It appears he speaks from his heart and gut. Too many people running for President come off like stuffed shirts.
- Ron was the only Republican who said it would be wrong for the U.S. to pre-emptively nuke another country.
- He wants to reduce the size of the Federal Government. Yes, we've heard that before but I'm pretty sure he means it. He wants to do away with the IRS, Dept of Education, etc. Ron think the Government has way overstepped its bounds and become too controlling.
- He wants to get rid of the income tax. Ron thinks the Government can have enough money to do what it needs to do without an income tax.
- He puts his money where his mouth is - Ron Paul does not participate in Congress' pension program and has never voted to raise congressional pay.
- He's concerned about Personal Privacy and voted against the Patriot Act.
- He votes against regulating (and taxing) the Internet.
- He wants to end the War on Drugs.
- He is Pro-Life.
- He is pretty non-interventionist when it comes to foreign policy.
- He wants the U.S. to not get involved with or start wars unless it's absolutely necessary. Of course "necessary" is up for debate, but still.
- He wants to spread Democracy around the world but realizes that cannot be done through guns. It can be done by us being a thriving Democracy that people once again admire around the world.
- As best I can tell, he has never strapped his dog to the roof of his car and driven around.
In some of the above cases I know there is no way in the world his goals can be achieved (eliminate the IRS?). And as with anybody I don't fully agree with every one of his positions. But I want a President who thinks this way. He doesn't just tow the party line. He also has about a snowball's chance in hell of winning the Republican nomination since he's currently polling somewhere in the vicinity of 3%. I have also lost much faith in our Government and think it's more about appeasing lobbyists and the friends of politicians than it is doing what's best for the people. I also am currently powerless to do anything to help him in the California Primary because I'm a registered Independent. I usually look at politicians and roll my eyes. Guys like Ron Paul give me hope that maybe something can change.
I think that while Paul will not win President in 2008, the increasing popularity of candidates like him - gives me hope that at some point in my life we'll see some sort of positive change.
Check out Ron Paul's website. I recommend looking at the videos, where you can see him interviewed on various shows and clips of him at the debates. Also take a look at the "Issues" section. So until I can support him no more, I support Ron Paul for President.