11.08.2005

my voting experience

This morning I headed over to Thornton Jr. High to cast my votes (see below for what my votes were). The polling place was in the library, and there was no line. I was the only voter present. I went in, told the lady my name and all that, and got my voting card from a teenager who was probably regretting doing this to get out of class. I walked over to a machine and put my card in, cast and double-checked my votes, then went to the table to get my "I Voted" sticker. As I was getting my sticker I saw something out of the corner of my eye and I looked up.

There were 30-40 12 year-olds staring at me from across the library, with their teacher in their midst. I was visibly taken aback because I hadn't noticed them staring at me like some sort of specimen in a zoo enclosure. They could tell I was surprised because there was a little giggling, and the girl giving me the sticker said "yeah, you have an audience." I heard the teacher say "and that's how it's done." I said thanks and headed for the door, and then the class applauded me as I exited. It started slow but then built up and they were all clapping and cheering me. I didn't know what to do so I said "thanks" and waved and continued my hasty retreat.

It was cool, I guess. Apparently I am awesome at voting.

No comments: