12.17.2003

Yahoo! News - Chirac to Seek Law Banning Head Scarves

Okay, I'm not a huge fan of the "humiliation of women" thing or the subservient place it appears Islam puts them in. But this has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I've read. A quote from Chirac - "Secularism is one of the great sucesses of the Republic. It is a crucial element of social peace and national cohesion. We cannot let it weaken."

I hardly think people wearing scarves is going to screw up your social peace. Unless you demand everyone else be like you and want to impose your own moral rules on them. It's ridiculous to me how far some governments will go in order to remove any hint of religious devotion in order to "preserve freedoms" or some other such garbage. I am all for not having state-endorsed religion, but this is the state-endorsed religion of secularism. Puh-lease.

I don't have time to be more detailed or thoughtful in my criticism of the French.

No comments: