1.30.2006

could they dig up dirt on me?

At this, the administrators and the satraps tried to find grounds for charges against Daniel in his conduct of government affairs, but they could not do so. They could find no corruption in him, because he was trustworthy and neither corrupt nor negligent." - Daniel 6:4 (NIV)

Daniel's enemies wanted to get dirt on him, but they couldn't because of his integrity. He'd been placed in a high position and they wanted to get rid of him. It didn't work out the way the expected, because as much digging as they did, they couldn't find the dirt. Daniel got the job because of God, but he didn't just sit on it and slack. He did his work well, and performed above reproach. He could've probably slacked because of his favor with the King, but he didn't.

In the same way, we must have absolute integrity in all areas of our lives. I want to be like Daniel and honor God and those around me in all I do. As a husband, tenant, friend, student, leader, employee, all that. I want to deal with honesty and integrity so I can be found innocent not just by people, but by God, who knows my heart.

I think this passage also displays how living an upright life does not mean we will live a trouble free life. Living in line with God's path brings us into conflict with a lot of the world around us. In some ways it's easier in the short term to ignore living God's way, or to cut corners and slack on integrity. Trying to live righteously is no guarantee of a problem-free life - but I think it is a guarantee of a life where you can look back with no regrets and not have to be constantly looking over your shoulder hoping nobody finds out that you're really a fraud.

No comments: